As a general person before kids, summer was the season to look forward to all year long. It was a time to relax, get a tan, be outside, enjoy friends, travel, read a book … until you become a parent–enter clunky toy to the head, exit summer-before-kids daydream.
Yes, it’s mostly enjoyable to spend more time with the kids. The family time and summer activities are a great change of pace, but there’s no denying that the second we become parents summer goes from being our BFF to being our frenemy.
Here are 21 reasons summer is now the season parents love to hate.
1. Someone we know will graduate and make us feel old. Bonus points if it’s one of our own.
2. The kids are home all day. Every. Single. Day.
3. Bathing suits are no longer our friends.
4. It’s too hot.
5. And sweating all the time sucks.
6. Sunscreen is slimy, smells weird and has to be slathered all over ourselves and the kids every time we step foot outside.
7. At home, the air conditioning only cools some rooms–either the kids’ rooms are way too cold and the parents sweat all night or the parents’ room has to be kept bone-chillingly cold to keep the kids comfortable. Main gathering areas are always hot.
8. Fans just push around hot air.
9. Family vacation.
10. Large bodies of water are the highest item on our worst-case-scenario list; they’re also the highest item on our kids’ to-do list.
11. It wouldn’t be summer without at least one sunburn … with peeling skin.
12. Unless it’s raining, there’s no justification for not wanting to go outside.
13. The only good time to workout is way too early in the morning or way too late at night.
14. All the good t.v. shows are off the air until Fall.
15. The Oscar-worthy movies don’t come out until December.
16. Your home has replaced the school as the place everyone’s kids hangout all day.
17. Ergo, you have to go grocery shopping daily.
18. There’s no point in doing anyone’s hair, because humidity.
19. Aside from the 4th of July, back-to-school time is the closest thing to a holiday.
20. If you dare take advantage of being able to have an outdoor event, it will rain.
21. The amount of people at any kid-friendly attraction (zoo, amusement park, museum, playground, swimming pool) is absolutely unreal. And borderline not worth it.